Data management and transferring is a big challenge in large and medium sized companies. Due to the crucial role of data in organizations, transferring them from the primary storage device to the archive storage infrastructure is not possible without a codified policy and strategy. Managers and experts in many organizations, spend a lot of time and energy on managing and transferring data. Moreover, human error probability in transferring processes can cause serious damage to the organization’s assets.
Abyla Network Migrator is an easy solution for managing data LifeCycle and transferring data to the archive storage infrastructures based on definite policies. Being usable on most operating systems, this software provides the possibility of maintaining files and data history, restoring data in case of loss, managing data LifeCycle, different methods for data transfer and many other benefits for archive storage infrastructure of organizations.
Abyla Network Migrator is designed and developed to provide a systematic and consistent strategy in data transfer between different layers of storage infrastructure as well as freeing up the valuable spaces on the primary storage device. All the operations related to data review, analysis and
2. Challenge and Reason to Use Abyla Network Migrator
Data value has increased over time, and data is now considered as a part of the organizations’ assets. According to a survey, about 80% of the organizations’ data is unstructured data, divided into three categories:
• The first category is the Active data, which is about 10% of the total data of organization.
• The second category is the Less Active data, which is about 20% of the total data of organization.
• The third category is the Inactive data, which is 70% of the total data of organization.
The Abyla Network Migrator software focuses on the third category, Inactive data. By managing accurately this amount of data and transferring it to the archive storage infrastructure, as well as freeing up the primary storage space, the cost of data back up and storage will be reduced. It also enables organizations to make policy for their data LifeCycle and automatically offline the data that do not need to be stored in the storage device or remove them from their storage device.
3. Abyla Network Migrator Flexible and Efficient
Abyla Network Migrator has a very simple environment for various advanced policies. These policies are defined based on (file name, file extension, creation date, access date, modification date, size, etc.). Based on the policies and schedules defined, the software analyzes the data and manages the migration process.
The software architecture is multilayer and all settings are made and maintained on the Abyla Network Migrator Engine server, and only a light version of the software (Agent) is installed on clients, which is responsible for data analyzing and transferring.
Abyla Network Migrator can be installed on Windows, Mac OS X, Linux operating systems and can communicate with the archive storage device that supports SMB and FTP protocols. Obviously, these operations do not depend on the type of equipment and the vendor.
4. Abyla Network Migrator Features
4.1. Data archiving based on the archive policies definition
In this system, policies can be defined based on the type of data, its LifeCycle, and how it is accessed. According to these policies, data can be copied, moved, or stubbed. The stubbed files are on the computer from the user’s view, but do not consume any space on the primary storage device.
4.2. Data LifeCycle Management
Data LifeCycle management can remove data from the primary storage device or archive storage and free up the space based on a defined policy. Data LifeCycle management in organizations is based on the laws and regulations of the organization or legislator organizations.
4.3. Supporting Data Replication Storage
Abyla Network Migrator’s flexible infrastructure allows multiple copies of data
4.4. Supporting Data Versioning
Abyla Network Migrator’s flexible infrastructure provides the ability to maintain file history. If a change occurs in the file’s content, the system maintains its history as well.
4.5. Data Protection & Security
While data transferring, using Hashing algorithms, Abyla Network Migrator’s flexible infrastructure checks the data which is transferred properly to the storage device and data archive, and no part of the data is lost during data transferring.
5. Advantages of Abyla Network Migrator
• Using primary storage space by transferring and archiving inactive data (data migration)
• Fast and standard access to all data transferred on data archive device
• Decreasing manual operation of data management by automating the operations
• Saving time and costs by reducing the size of backup data and the optimal use of storage device
• No need for secondary software, for transferring data to optical storage device
• Supporting data archive device based on CIFS and FTP protocols
• Data compression and encryption during transferring
• Ability in scheduling transfer operations on the agents
• Ability in centralized Managing of errors and occurrences of the agents
• Supporting the versioning